and a tiny hole in the right knee

>> Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I have faded spots on the knees of my jeans. I went through a phase when they all wore straight through to my skin, days spent on the ground with little boys. My mom said there were years for her when all her jeans had holes in the knees; another of the many marks of motherhood.

I stood at the sink peeling eggs last night. The shells wouldn't come off cleanly, and chunks of the egg crumbled into the sink, holding tight to the shards of shell. There's so much satisfaction with a clean-peeled egg. But what can you do.

I snuggled Axel on the couch with two books before bed, 30 minutes after he should have been sleeping, now that he's resisting his naps. It was dark outside, and I saw the mailman at our door, stuffing our box with a letter, picking up our Netflix envelope. I felt so bad for him, still out on his route this late. I wondered if he'd had a bad day. It was certainly a long one.

This morning I threw on boots over leggings and called it business casual. I got out to the car and noticed a peanut butter mouth print on my thigh, and a tiny hole in the right knee.

(four minutes between email and a meeting -- just write.)

Shari@Rain into Rainbows September 27, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I love it! Just a little snippet in the life of a mama.

(Oh, and btw, I always had that problem with eggs until one day I found http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_perfect_hard_boiled_eggs/ ). I think I actually found it when researching Easter eggs, because my boiled eggs always cracked. It works perfectly for me!

ShannonL September 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM

So thoughtful and so sweet. It was fun reading what goes through your mind in 4 short minutes! :-)

CJ September 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM

You transformed those four minutes into prose beautifully! Oh how I can relate!

Maggie May September 27, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Boots over leggings is one of my favorite looks on women. It's almost always good.

Galit Breen September 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

i love the vignette- the glimpse into your day.

Also? I die at the Peanut butter on the thigh. :)

Sarah September 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

You sound like a beautiful mama. I love boots over leggings- even with a peanut butter print on them.

Elizabeth @claritychaos September 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Thank you, friends. You know, as a working mama, sometimes I just need that evidence that I'm still right there in it all with them, even if things don't always end up the way I idealize.

Adventures In Babywearing September 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Nailed it.

I always feel bad for the mail lady out late, too.

Amanda September 28, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I love it. :) And those peanut butter mouth prints! I have them all the time. Little peanut butter fingerprints all over me like a crime scene, too.

Faith October 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM

love this little bit of your life :) It's crazy how quickly you go through jeans when you have little ones - and what a huge deal it is when you can go a whole entire day in a clean shirt!

Christine October 4, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Maybe just 4 minutes, but 4 minutes filled with so much!