Can I tell you a story?

>> Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The videos from 2011 Listen To Your Mother are online! Here's me reading my piece at the Barrymore - if you have the time, click on over and watch the whole show. (90 minutes total, split up piece by piece. The Madison show runs from Confessions of a Cribaholic [hilarious] to 35th Trimester and is followed by a tear-jerking rendition of Lily Allen's Chinese sung by a Madison girls youth choir. Oh, my heart.)

This is a piece I wrote a year or so ago about an experience I had about a year before that. I'm no longer in that same place, at home full-time with three little kids, but I think the core message still holds.

We need each other, mamas. We really do. Hat tip and a thank you to my friend Maria for summing up the heart of my story so succinctly back when I first wrote it. I grabbed her comment and wove it in to the out-loud version, to hit home the moral of the story with a little more clarity and strength.

(Nice freeze frame, eh?)

:::
related: more thoughts on sharing our stories

Maria Redmond,  June 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Amazing Elizabeth! You have a way of capturing the audience and really making a connection. Love you and so proud of you!

Grumble Girl June 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Oh, how lovely it is to hear your voice, Elizabeth!! Indeed, to find some grace, sometimes (and often) from a total stranger who "gets" you in a moment of frustration or sadness is a true nugget of gold.

I'm so glad to have you in my tribe. We really DO need each other. I'm holding on tight... oh, and I'm holding onto that crazy Maria too...

I love you. xox

Ann Imig June 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Hilarious freeze frame, fantastic reading!

The Empress June 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, well,,,at least YOU look alive in your freezeframe.

Mine looks like I'm half tanked already.

FUN DAY, wasn't it???

Corinne June 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I loved hearing and watching you read this :) So good!!

Deb June 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I love your writing, and to hear you read it? Fabulous. Really amazing, you are.