rich

>> Thursday, July 1, 2010

I woke up this morning to an email that my Dad sent out to his friends and family. With his permission, I'm sharing it here today. (for a bit more of the backstory, click here and scroll to #3.)

It's official! I got up this morning and didn't put my work shoes on. I've taken a few minutes to review the last few months. A cancer diagnosis and surgery, radiation all summer, a wonderful family vacation 22 strong including three 3 year olds, and yesterday the signing away of the family business started by Grandpa over 70 years ago. Through all the joys and heartache, trials and tribulation and triumph, one thing remains constant, and that is the absolute faithfulness of God. It brings to mind my favorite Psalm, number 16. God has given me my portion. Every good thing I have is from Him. This includes family and friends, material wealth and skilled surgeons, and a contentment with life as it is. He has put me in a pleasant place. As my Dad said so often that it became a joke, "I am rich, rich!" Thanks to all of you for what you contribute to my life, and especially to Mom for the love that we share.

I love you, Dad! Thank you for letting me share this here, and for teaching me to look at life through the Big-Picture window.

I think some congrats are in order, don't you think?

:::

Linking up to Bigger Picture Blogs because it doesn't get much bigger picture than this.

Corinne July 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM

So very moving!
Congratulations, Elizabeth's Dad!! Enjoy the moments :)

Lindsey July 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Congratulations - what a lovely, moving email. I have a new sense of where your remarkable perspective and ability to hone in on what really matters came from, Elizabeth!
Love to you both.

Anonymous,  July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Aw, Jerry. AMEN!

Janell

Misty July 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

i don't really "know" you, but yes, like the above poster, i get a sense of your heritage, and now even more than ever i say: WRITE IT. your family is rich, rich! with love and pride and history. it is beautiful to get a peek into.

Dawn July 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM

what a note from your dad! celebrating riches of all kinds... what could be better?!

funny that you stopped by today, because i have been thinking i needed to catch up with you! i have missed you :)

Carolyn Phillips July 1, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I don't know you or your family, I came here via Bigger Picture, and yet this post, your Dad's email are so moving I had to comment. His summing up of his life, his references to his dad, to scripture and to your mum and their love all add up so many riches, beyond counting.

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations to your dad, may he be blessed.

katdish July 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM

What a rich man your dad is--to understand what true riches are. Congrats to him and thanks for allowing you to post his email. What a great reminder to us all.

Jamie July 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM

What a beautiful lesson

Christine July 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Tears, yes tears! To know this is truly a gift. Congratulations, I hope this time is everything your dad I'm sure deserves.

Sarah July 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Congrats? I should think yes. A big, resounding yes. And I should also think that looking back on the work and joy of one's life is a gift. One that your father shares with you here and that you now share with us. I feel I've happened upon a secret. A very meaningful secret. And because of that I feel rich, rich!

Congratulations to your Dad for a full and beautiful life. To you for a wonderfully well-deserved nomination. And to all those seeking the Bigger Picture. It's there, just waiting for us to take notice--all the time.

!!!

Maegan Beishline July 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM

What a beautiful and heartwarming moment! Thank you for sharing!

Hyacynth July 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Congratulations to your dad. He's a wise man, a wise man who has been richly blessed by God, indeed. Thanks for sharing his e-mail with us.

KAM July 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Wow, this was really wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing it and congratulations to your mom and dad!

krista July 4, 2010 at 5:39 PM

this is so beautiful. i've been thinking a lot lately about how to really live, all while acknowledging death. hand in hand, with respect and grace. this example speaks to me. so so much.