textures

>> Monday, February 15, 2010

It's taking a little more effort to stay in the moment amid the busyness of our new schedule. I work so hard at paying attention. Being where I am, fully. If I open up all my receptors and I receive the moment with all of my senses, life becomes so much more vivid.

I'm not getting it down on paper or in print as often as I had been, but I'm writing it down at the cellular level -- letting it become part of me, so when I move on to the next day, or even the next moment; I go with an added layer of texture.

overhang

***

"I like how the highway sounds, Mom."

Tires rumbling over road, on our way to my sister's, he notes his observations along the way.

He notices everything, that kid.

A green semi cab parked next to a purple one, down in a parking lot beyond the exit ramp.
"Those colors look nice together."

His stuffed dog clutched in hand, resting on his quilt at kindergarten.
"My giraffe feels the same as my quilt. I like bringing Baby Dog because he feels different from my quilt. I like how they feel together."

Laying on his back in a pile of snow in the front yard. All by himself, watching the clouds race across the sky.
He pops inside to tell us,
"It's really nice out there. I like how the Quiet sounds."

I'm writing it down, because he's too little to see his own gift.

I want to see life like he does.

***

Have you ever watched an icicle melt? There's this moment, when the ice is still ice but it's moving towards water, it's morphing before your eyes, and then the instant it crosses that threshold -- a most incredibly perfect round reflective drop of awesome.

drips

drip - closeup

You see it coming, and for a moment it's there, suspended, and then gone.

***

I feel like I've dropped off the face of the Internet. The days I'm home with my boys, I am home with my boys. I'm appreciating them so much these days. Their stories, soft cheeks, and brand new words each and every day.

I'm learning a lot about this business of life-living from watching them in action. I'm trying to pay attention to the details.

valentine

be mine2

be mine3

burrito

When you're looking for them, there are always so many little gifts waiting to be unwrapped.

Meghan February 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I'm so glad you share the comments of that wonderful boy of yours (ONE of the wonderful boys of yours!)...brings tears to my eyes.

Lindsey February 16, 2010 at 5:38 AM

This is simply stunning. Thank you for the reminder to be here now. It is the challenge of my life, and I'm grateful for gorgeous words and pictures like yours that call me back to the effort.

Queen February 16, 2010 at 8:25 AM

"I'm writing it down, because he's too little to see his own gift."

Exactly.

Corinne February 16, 2010 at 8:32 AM

"It's really nice out there. I like how the Quiet sounds."

I love this.

Dayle February 16, 2010 at 9:02 AM

If only we could see the world as the little ones do. Precious!

Kim February 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I LOVED watching the icicles melt from my home in Florida. You captured beauty in motion.

Thank you.

Is Dis Normal or Dysfunctional? February 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

What a beautiful icicle photo. I can't help but check in with you and your parallel life raising boys.

It is difficult to keep up with all of the social networking but I am curious to know if you have ever visited my blog?

Would love to connect with you and share stories.

Best, Jillian

Lee of MWOB February 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I love dropping off the face of the internet sometimes. Just had a three-day weekend of basically no internet and it's life-saving for me.

But then I pop back on and see that icicle photo and read those words of your wise wise boy and well, I kinda love the internet right now.

Here's to a day of details my friend...

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama February 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I love those pictures of icicles. My boys have been in awe of the huge ones left from this east coast weather.

amanda February 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM

and that's right where you should be friend.

and the icicles? beans and i did the same thing last week. we both just sat and watched in total awe. your words make the moment that much sweeter.

Erin February 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM

This post makes me smile. :)

Becca @ Our Crazy Boys February 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I love this post! The pictures of the icicles are beautiful, and I love the valentines on the head :)

Spot On Your Pants February 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM

oh my god. i love this. what a great talent you have for hearing these things too. like mother like son.

Southern Gal February 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM

This is beautiful. Love the way our children point out those things that we may overlook.

Christine February 17, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Admidst all my own crazy, this spectacular post reminded to slow down and find some serenity in just enjoying my own two boys. Everyone once in a while we all need that kind of reminder I think. So easy to get swept up in it all. I struggle to just enjoy them with so much buzzing in my head.

Heather February 17, 2010 at 7:51 AM

It's wonderful to see life through your children's eyes!

I think your blog is great and I have a Beautiful Blogger Award for you over on my site! http://crazytoddlers.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-won-award.html

I'm a mom of 3 boys too.

Cybil February 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Very cool pictures! I have a little something for you at my blog here: <a href="http://abigpotofcrazy.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-award.html> The Sunshine Award</a>

emma February 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Oh, I love this! Reading your post made everything slow down - a gift! And children take my breath away when they reveal all they know and see and think and feel. Such simple awe.

krista February 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM

the way the quiet sounds and heart faces.
so good.

kat February 17, 2010 at 7:23 PM

hi elizabeth,
though i often look i've never commented on your writing and photos before. both are stunning, especially tonight, at the end of my own full work day. thanks for the beautiful reminders to absorb my boy! take care,
kat

Kimberly February 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Beautiful...the words, the photos, the gifts:)

Heidi February 17, 2010 at 9:26 PM

You are so right, our children have so much to teach and offer US if we'll just slow down, engage and take notice. Thanks for the reminder to embrace that! Great photos by the way as well!

deb February 18, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Ellizabeth,
This is so incredible . I love that you get it. That you share it so well.

Take care of your new busy self.

Beth February 18, 2010 at 8:06 AM

wow, thank you for this. I love first that you're recording your boy's observations of the beauty around him. I love second how incredible it is that you captured the icicles.... how beautiful.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... February 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Wow! It was worth stopping in before starting homeschool today. Yet another reminder to keep an eye on the morphing process of raising little people. Thanks.

Kathy-sis,  February 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM

This has to be my favorite post. I love the cutout heart on the head! Love you.
Kathy

Nell February 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM

love all of this and all the pictures!

Nell

Sarah February 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM

"I'm writing it down, because he's too little to see his own gift."

He does have a gift, doesn't he? This itty bitty thing who doesn't at all know how powerful these little observations are. From all the things you quoted it sounds like he sees a natural symbiosis in his surroundings--or has a natural gift for, propensity for, search for...balance.

I thought I was just going to say "Speechless" when I jumped to your comment form, but obviously that is incorrect. (Gosh, I ALWAYS find words, don't I?) But really, this is something extra special. For me, with three boys, with the busy life, with trying to enjoy the moments and remembering to write this stuff down, too. It's too darn easy to forget!

Ann's Rants February 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Mmmm. Heart boy! (so cute)

semicrunchymama February 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Oh, wow. I'm left speechless. There's just so much I love about this I don't even know what to gush over first!
"I'm writing it down, because he's too little to see his own gift." -- he does have quite a gift, doesn't he? As do you. Thank you for sharing this, all this. It's that little reminder I've been needing to slow down and live my life, truly LIVE in each moment, just as my child does.

Dawn February 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM

oooo... so much to think about and all so important! and i love... that you took the time... to watch the icicles melt. and take pictures of boys wearing cut out paper hearts. and this one that notices... i'm glad you are recording his gifts, too. he must just have a beautiful heart!

imoomie February 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Your son is so observant, it will be so interesting to see what he grows up to be!
It is awesome that you are marking your moments...they fly on to the next phase so quickly.

deb July 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I'm leaving another gush.
Because this is so so worth a revisit.

I'm speechless. You weave into my soul with this stuff.

Elizabeth , with one L. :)