my poet

>> Friday, February 19, 2010

I tuck him into bed, and in those first still moments of the day, he tells me,

"You know when we're driving, or when I'm outside? There's music out there.

card dump Dec09 144

Not like guitar music. But like...in the wind.

wind from below

That's why I like being out there. There's music that the sounds out there make.

IMG_6462

If you listen, you can hear it."

Oh, buddy...I want to hear it, too.

:::

Tonight, we put the two little boys to bed and let O stay up with us for a while. The little brothers snoozed away as John finished up in the kitchen and I sent a quick email to our babysitter.

O wandered from one room to the next.

I feel like I'm standing in the middle of nowhere.

That's funny. Why?

I don't know, I'm just lonely.

IMG_6594

Something feels a little off for them when they're apart.

***

Every Friday my friend Lee posts conversations she's had with her kids, and she invites her friends to share their stories, too. (So I'm linking up today.)

Sometimes the stories are funny, and other times, like today, she touches on something that grips your heart a little tighter. Go check her out, she writes a blog called Moms Without Blogs, because she's cool like that. Her philosophy is to keep it real, to show that as moms, we don't have it all together all the time, but that that's OK. ("Being a supermom is simply a state of mind.") She's the real deal, folks.

And, I want to thank Heather and Cybil for giving my blog a little shout-out over on their blogs. I appreciate the kind words, and I'm so glad to know you've enjoyed reading what I write. Really, it means a lot. So thank you.

thegypsymama February 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Oh, my heart just belly flopped. My boys are also lost without one another.

Corinne February 19, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I've got tears in my eyes! What a sweet boy. Those feelings, those words, ahh! I think he's got a bit of you in him ;)

Sarah February 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM

There it is. There are those words. Sweet perfection. Insight. Internal harmony.

And funny about Lee and MWOB and conversations with kids. Just found her today and just happened to write a little post about a conversation with my kid this afternoon. I suppose I should link it up, too!

Have a great weekend. Full of boys and laughter!

For the Love of Naps - Sarah February 19, 2010 at 9:27 PM

You little one has some mighty deep thoughts. My boys are lost or off when they don't have each other too.

Have a great weekend with your boys!

krista February 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

your writing of his poetry....the best gift of all.

Lee of MWOB February 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Hey soul sister....

wow. I love these conversations. And that O of yours. Well, ALL of them. They are love. They are amazing. And the laundry basket pic - oh please!! Delicious.

I wanna hear that music too. I want to go camping right now. Or maybe for a hike. Just something.

Thanks for such kind words there and although not many folks have played along so far, I'm really liking these conversations I've been writing and reading. I wanna preserve these memories...and without writing them down, these chats with my kids would disappear into the crevices of my mind....

Miss you chica. I'm really thinking about going to BlogHer. Can you go?

Lee

growfamilygrow February 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Sweet, sweet, sweet. All kinds of sweet sentiment here. And the images! Fabulous images to go with the poetry of a child's thoughts. Followed you over here from Moms Without Blogs.

confused homemaker February 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Crushed me, I want to hear the music too. I have a boy like this, he hears music & sees goodness beaming from everyone & everything. It crushes me.

Tara February 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM

So incredibly sweet! Your son sounds like one amazing soul.

Ann's Rants February 20, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Perfect juxtaposing the lonely and the rubbermaid stuffed with boys.

oooh I said juxtapose.

Nice Lee shout-out.

Ann

Laura February 20, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Ah, poetry from a boy child. It's a beautiful thing!

My oldest son now says he was always disappointed in friends because he expected them to be as close as his brothers...and they never were.

That's brotherlove!

JoAnn February 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM

so incredibly sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Messy Jessy February 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Recognizing gifts in your children is so essential and hope lifting!

Good Job recording a few snippets of your son's gift.

Deb February 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

that's what i want for my boys... to want to be together through it all, forever. brothers that can rely on each other, that like each other, that fight and get mad, but heal and grow closer. so far, so good. and when i hear mine making plans for the future that involve one house in montana, with a couple of dogs (they each get to choose a breed), lots of land and a rally track, the logical me wants to tell them that their plan won't work... they need to think about jobs and partners and financial stability. but LUCKILY, my soul warms the rest of me and i tell them how delightful it sounds and that i hope they will have a nice guest room for when i come to visit.

oh, and thanks for dropping in to say hello. finally. :)

This Heavenly Life February 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM

What an insightful guy he is! Gorgeous memories.

Heather February 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM

your son has a lovely way of expressing his thoughts. It's amazing to see life through a child's eyes...it's like seeing everything again for the first time.