fall(ing)

>> Thursday, October 1, 2009

I feel it.

Not just in the air, but in my soul. Fall is here.

My renegade pumpkin and other giant squash I didn't plant.

The last of the pineapple heirlooms -- moments before I pulled them from the vine,
saving them from a frosty fate.

Pretty yellow lashes dressing up a few black eyes.

* * *

The arrival of fall has settled soft and heavy on my days. The sun casts softer shadows and the air has the feel of that nibble that comes before the bite. The leaves creep orange, and pops of red jump out from blurred roadside greens.

Fall restores my rhythm. I love the summer, but summer is a time of flight. We don't stay long in one place, we're soaring always outward, upward. There's a lightness that makes anything seem possible, doable; limits stretch and energy is high.

But from soaring heights come great crashes. And I definitely floundered and squelched around in the mire for a time. But as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I have finally found my footing; and now with the arrival of fall, I've even settled into a comfortable pace.

Honeycrisps

Fall is my grounding season. I have gathered up my limbs and my thoughts from their atmospheric flailings and I have drawn them in. I am centered and feeling more present than I have in a very long time.

I am choosing to see my most recent bout with depression as part of my spectrum. When the light finally bursts through, it is those shades of gray that make the colors more vivid than if the sun had always been shining. And as fall slips in and the last traces of summer wither and vanish, I feel ready for the change.

I don't know what these next months will bring, but I'm open to the turning. Crisp and tart, soft and savory; fall has always been my favorite season, no matter the variation in its yearly flavor. There's an amber energy to the days that is serving me well lately, and I'm going to draw it in and send it back out as best I can.

* * *

Donning scarves and sweaters for afternoon walks.

And the requisite cute baby pictures....

homemade hand-me-down hats warming a third little blond head...

rosy cheeks and red noses...

thrift store sweaters the color of his eyes...

...and a close up on that one, because I couldn't resist.

* * *

Linking up to join in on this week's You Capture: Fall Feelings.

*ALL IMAGES © BOY CRAZY [finding clarity in the chaos]*

* * *

previous post - first light

Jen@TwoKidsandaMap October 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM

That last picture, the closeup, is absolutely stunning...what beautiful blue eyes! I can't believe you are in sweaters and scarves already. Exploring other blogs reminds me that it is actually getting cool in other parts of the world!

Susan Berlien (warmchocmilk) October 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Honeycrisp apples and knit sweaters. Yep! It's fall!!

Whimsical Creations October 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Great post.

YAY for fall and all that it brings.

Jo@Mylestones October 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I can tell by how you write that fall suits you perfectly. A beautiful post on a beautiful season.
So glad you included the requisite cute baby pictures. I needed my fix. :-)

Becca - Our Crazy Boys October 1, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I love the pictures of your little guy... and honeycrisp apples? My favorite!!! Can't wait until we get them here!

The Animator's Wife October 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Great post, I feel fall-filled just peeking in!

krista October 1, 2009 at 6:18 PM

fall makes me feel the exact same way. exactly.

Lorena October 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Aww, your baby photos are soo cute! =) He's beautiful.

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters October 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Sharp shots, crisp prose...great post! Thanks for sharing.

Tina October 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I can't get enough of these fall captures! Great photos.

Heather of the EO October 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM

That was a beautiful post, lady. It resonated with me. Something shifts for me in the fall too, and I love the way you described it.

(and beautiful photos too, of course)

Lee of MWOB October 2, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Okay. I have found you. You came to MWOB because of Heather and now I'm here and this is when blogging works its finest magic.

I love this post of yours - so filled with gorgeous imagery and words that speak volumes. I love Fall too. It hold my colors of orange hues....even in Southern California.

What a beautiful family you have.

Happy Friday and I will be back...

Lee

Jennifer October 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Fantastic pictures, and gorgeous little boy. I love his chill rosy cheeks, and the way his blue eyes grab you. Thanks for sharing them!